Skip to main content

#InternetBae Origin

The question I get asked the most is "what is the #InternetBae concept and where did it come from?" This is such a great question because it's something that means a lot to me and has turned into a lifestyle that I try to live daily. I think both of you two readers will be surprised at how this seemingly random hashtag came to life!

I've always felt like I was the only person in Hawaii who watched Survivor religiously. None of my friends understood why I felt like it is the best show ever. Their slogan of "outwit, outplay, outlast" is one of the truest things ever spoken. The game of Survivor tests you physically, mentally and emotionally. 34 seasons in and I have seen every single episode!



Anyway, it was 2014 and I decided to start live tweeting episodes. I proclaimed myself a Survivor super fan and expert. Something in my mind believed that I would share some incredible insight on the show since I've never had a platform to talk about it. I took a deep breath and started giving my opinion 140 characters at a time with the Survivor hashtag. It didn't take long until I started getting some likes and responses. I felt amazing and a bit relieved too since for some reason it made me feel like I wasn't just delusional about my Survivor love and knowledge.

One of the people who live tweeted with me was Kesha. To my surprise, she was also from Hawaii and it was incredible to have someone who understood my undying enthusiasm for Survivor. We quickly became Twitter buddies and we talked about getting cast for Survivor and being able to dominate with our mindset of being able to catch more flies with honey than vinegar. And just like that, the #InternetBae culture was born.

This simple thought that was tweeted really stuck with me. Everywhere we look on the Internet we see negativity or cyber bullying. It's one of those things that has become accepted. Just like how the sun rises and sets each day. You will be bullied online. There's no way around it. I'm not sure why our society seems so willing to accept this but I for one cannot stand it! Is it that difficult to be positive towards others online?

Apparently the answer is "yes" because I can't go anywhere on the Internet without seeing some sort of bullying. A good friend of mine makes YouTube videos and I've seen people comment on her "fragile frame" as well as question her intelligence. While liking another friend's picture on Instagram, I see someone comment "nice tits ho". It blew my mind because it was a picture of her with her Grandma. Yes, you read that correctly. A picture with her Grandma where someone decided to comment on her body. There are so many other examples but this would take you until next week Tuesday to read if I listed them all.

Everywhere I went online it just got worse and worse. I've personally had someone successfully bully myself and one of my best friends recently. It really didn't bother me at all until they decided to attack someone who I hold in such high regard. They have done some incredible damage with just words and harassment. This entire situation still baffles me. Why can't we focus on being happy and positive towards others instead of tearing others down?

Now, I know I've gone on some tangents here but you knew what you were getting into when equipping me with a blog 😂. Getting back to the lecture at hand, what is the #InternetBae culture? It's going back to the basics. Back to the very first lesson we were taught by our parents. We need to really start treating people the way we want to be treated. Even if it's on the Internet and might be someone you will never meet in real life. Kindness begins with you!

I'd like to leave you with some tips that will help you to embrace the #InternetBae culture as I'm hopeful that it will catch on if we just pay it forward. My goal is to make the Internet a better place than I found it and I can't do it alone!
  • Be kind to unkind people. They often need it the most.
  • We rise by lifting up others - Robert Ingersoll
  • Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see - Mark Twain
  • One kind word can change someone's entire day
  • Kindness is contagious




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doer > Dreamer

Let me warn you before you start reading this, it's probably going to be long. Go grab your popcorn, Mountain Dew with exactly four ice cubes and settle in. There are two things I hear a lot... 1. "Cody, how do you do it?" 2. "I'm going to (insert dream here)" When people ask me "how do you do it?", it's addressing the idea of owning and operating your own business. The truth is that I was forced to do it. Not by my parents who still to this day like to tell me to get a regular 9-5 job since it's less risky. But, I was forced to do it because I was tired of working with people who didn't care about their jobs. They would show up to work under the influence of either alcohol, drugs or a combination of both and yet they got paid just as much as me or more. That didn't sit well with me and used to anger me. Then, one day I told myself that I can sit here and do nothing about it or take a chance and do something different. L

Hello From The Other Side...

The Internet is such a weird and yet magical place. Since I'm on the middle range of the "Millennials" scale in age, I remember back when we used to take all the free sample AOL discs from Tower Records just to get online for an hour. Then, the decision became do we go into a chat room to figure out everyone's A/S/L, or do we try to browse at a speed slower than a snail. We've come a long way since then and the availability of the Internet everywhere has shrunk the world. One of my best friends once told me that she's met some of the greatest people online and oddly enough I tend to agree. So whether you are going to read this because you have met me in person, or you are going to read this because it helps your workday move by faster, I appreciate you! Enough with the rambling (expect a lot) and on to the introduction! My name is Cody. A.K.A. #InternetBae. A.K.A. Poplo Escobar. A.K.A. one half of the People's Champ Supremo's Hawaii . This is my fi

The Future Of Netflix...

On February 4th, 2015, a show called Fresh Off The Boat debuted on ABC. There was an incredible amount of hype behind this because it was the first time in 20+ years that an Asian American family would be featured front and center. The show was loosely based upon the childhood of Mr. Double Cup Love himself, The Human Panda Eddie Huang. Side note, I always hear about him being in Hawaii looking for poke and or sushi and yet he isn't hitting me up? 😂  But, that's a story best saved for another day... Anyway, upon watching the two episode series premiere, I was hooked! Anyone who has an Asian Mom could relate heavily to this show because regardless of actual ethnicity, our Moms all hovered and parented in the same manner! I even ended up buying the book off Amazon which is huge for anyone who knows me because I am not a reader at all. Just the thought of cracking open a book cover puts me to sleep faster than an Ambien. While on this Fresh Off The Boat binge, I figured I'