Skip to main content

So, I'm A Hoarder...


I've come to the realization that I am a hoarder. Yes, I said it. I am a hoarder. Are there any Hoarders Anonymous groups cause I'm pretty sure I should be in one. 

I'm not sure if hoarding is genetic but my Grandma was a hoarder. Which in turn made my Mom a hoarder. My Dad is the king of hoarding as he has this talent to make the most possible things fit into any available space. Oddly enough, my Mom did a complete 180 probably out of necessity and turned into one of those "use it or lose it" types where she will throw everything away just because.

It was my Mom's transformation that still haunts me to this day when I came home one day to find out she threw away a complete in box NES Little Samson game that I had in some random drawer. If you aren't familiar with this game, look it up on eBay and I'm sure you will understand my pain...

From that day forth, I went on this mission to not throw things away unless I absolutely had to or knew that it held no value to anyone anywhere. Well, that's sorta a lie because I'm a sentimental person and have kept most of the things that people have given to me over the years. But, we won't get into that.

Over the past three months, my home has undergone a wide variety of renovations. This has led to me staying home much more than usual and I made it a goal to clean my room. I figured whatever I could declutter would be a plus. Starting with my clothes was pretty easy. I'm very picky with how things fit so any t-shirt with one of those thin skinny collars that stretch as soon as you put it on, those were the first things to go into the "donate" pile. 

Sorting through the t-shirts alone took a few days cause I have done projects with a lot of clothing companies over the years and was shocked to see what I had accumulated. Quick plug and shoutout to my sponsors, Humble Roots Customs and Get Hi Hawaii

Moving along to other garment items was an even easier process. If it fit and still looked wearable, it stayed. If not, bye Felicia. 

With my clothes sorted through, next up was all of the receipts scattered everywhere. I kept all of the receipts for items that I paid cash, and shredded the rest that I used my business credit card for since the end of the year statement is enough for tax purposes. I felt like I was on a roll now! Gaining momentum to tackle the biggest task of them all, my closet. 

For some people, Bed Bath and Beyond is a home furnishings retail giant. For anyone who knows me, that's what lies behind the four double doors to my closet. There are bedding items and even a sleeping bag which I randomly bought on a whim. There are bathroom and hygiene items cause I hate germs. And then there's the beyond. There is so much beyond. I'm positive that if I died at this very moment, scientists could only wonder what kinds of thoughts go through my mind on a daily basis upon seeing the exhibition of items in my possession. 

This is where things got real. Besides not knowing where to start, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of anything! Items that I knew I did not see myself using in the foreseeable future remained because you never know. Hell, I even kept a written birthday card from one of my ex girlfriends whose penmanship is worse than your preschool aged niece. Not because I still care, but because she wrote down a bunch of the hilarious quotes and one-liners that I told her and needed them as reference for possible upcoming content for this blog! 

And here we sit about two weeks later after initially opening the doors to Narnia with my closet still filled. The only changes I have made was rearranging things in colorful storage bins that I bought from Target. It may look like I've done a lot but you'd be surprised what organization can trick people into believing. So, there's really only one thing left that I can say...

"Hi, my name is Cody and I am a hoarder..."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doer > Dreamer

Let me warn you before you start reading this, it's probably going to be long. Go grab your popcorn, Mountain Dew with exactly four ice cubes and settle in. There are two things I hear a lot... 1. "Cody, how do you do it?" 2. "I'm going to (insert dream here)" When people ask me "how do you do it?", it's addressing the idea of owning and operating your own business. The truth is that I was forced to do it. Not by my parents who still to this day like to tell me to get a regular 9-5 job since it's less risky. But, I was forced to do it because I was tired of working with people who didn't care about their jobs. They would show up to work under the influence of either alcohol, drugs or a combination of both and yet they got paid just as much as me or more. That didn't sit well with me and used to anger me. Then, one day I told myself that I can sit here and do nothing about it or take a chance and do something different. L

Hello From The Other Side...

The Internet is such a weird and yet magical place. Since I'm on the middle range of the "Millennials" scale in age, I remember back when we used to take all the free sample AOL discs from Tower Records just to get online for an hour. Then, the decision became do we go into a chat room to figure out everyone's A/S/L, or do we try to browse at a speed slower than a snail. We've come a long way since then and the availability of the Internet everywhere has shrunk the world. One of my best friends once told me that she's met some of the greatest people online and oddly enough I tend to agree. So whether you are going to read this because you have met me in person, or you are going to read this because it helps your workday move by faster, I appreciate you! Enough with the rambling (expect a lot) and on to the introduction! My name is Cody. A.K.A. #InternetBae. A.K.A. Poplo Escobar. A.K.A. one half of the People's Champ Supremo's Hawaii . This is my fi

The Future Of Netflix...

On February 4th, 2015, a show called Fresh Off The Boat debuted on ABC. There was an incredible amount of hype behind this because it was the first time in 20+ years that an Asian American family would be featured front and center. The show was loosely based upon the childhood of Mr. Double Cup Love himself, The Human Panda Eddie Huang. Side note, I always hear about him being in Hawaii looking for poke and or sushi and yet he isn't hitting me up? 😂  But, that's a story best saved for another day... Anyway, upon watching the two episode series premiere, I was hooked! Anyone who has an Asian Mom could relate heavily to this show because regardless of actual ethnicity, our Moms all hovered and parented in the same manner! I even ended up buying the book off Amazon which is huge for anyone who knows me because I am not a reader at all. Just the thought of cracking open a book cover puts me to sleep faster than an Ambien. While on this Fresh Off The Boat binge, I figured I'