Skip to main content

The Social Media Conundrum...

I have this love/hate relationship with social media, I always have. At the peak of my social media usage, I was getting paid to market for businesses so I focused on building brands one post, tweet or pic at a time. Then, there are times where I just can't find myself caring enough to even log on.

To be perfectly honest, I've met a ridiculous amount of people from social media. These people have had a variety of different levels of impact on my life: good, bad and ugly. Yet, I still find myself going through these ups and downs of wanting to erase it all and be done with it forever. I could never really pinpoint why until recently.

This is where I might start to offend some of you or even lose your readership. For that, I apologize in advance and welcome you to click out of this window if you want. I'll give you some time to think about it...

Say hello to the falsetto in 3, 2, SWAG...

The thing that drives me crazy about social media is all of the people who like to "flex for the gram" so to speak. They want to spin their lives into an oversharing of only what they perceive to be what others want to see. Some of the wonderful examples of these things include:

  • Posting pictures on Instagram of lavish material items or cash when they are drowning in debt
  • Spamming pictures of their "perfect" kids and family though they are far from happy
  • Putting up Facebook statuses of how #blessed they are when clearly struggling
Granted, I have done this myself before and just really didn't realize it until now in terms of how much it bugs me. 

Being such a transparent person, I might be the only one who would love to see honest status updates. Tell us that you aren't doing well. Tell us that you've been having a less than perfect day. Share with us what's really going on. Isn't that the only way we can know to reach out to you and see what we can do to offer help? And please embrace the help when we offer it. We wouldn't ask if we didn't care. I know that society has become where most people are constantly wondering "why is this person helping me?" and "what do they really want?". But, is it that hard to believe that there are some of us who genuinely care about you and want nothing more than to see you actually happy? 

Or skip the social media altogether. Call me old fashioned but I love when people reach out to me by phone or text. I even like e-mails to an extent as long as you aren't asking me to join your multi-level marketing company or if I can send relief to the Nigerian Prince because he needs some of my money first before he can make me the sole heir to his fortune and crown me the King of Zamunda.

So if you are reading this, I don't care if we talk daily, or if we've managed to drift apart because of life or even if perhaps we aren't on the greatest terms at this very moment. I just want you to know that I care. I care much more than a like on a Facebook status. I care much more than a heart on your Instagram photo. And I care much more than replying to you on Twitter. Let's get back to the real status updates and get a cup of tea at Starbucks!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doer > Dreamer

Let me warn you before you start reading this, it's probably going to be long. Go grab your popcorn, Mountain Dew with exactly four ice cubes and settle in. There are two things I hear a lot... 1. "Cody, how do you do it?" 2. "I'm going to (insert dream here)" When people ask me "how do you do it?", it's addressing the idea of owning and operating your own business. The truth is that I was forced to do it. Not by my parents who still to this day like to tell me to get a regular 9-5 job since it's less risky. But, I was forced to do it because I was tired of working with people who didn't care about their jobs. They would show up to work under the influence of either alcohol, drugs or a combination of both and yet they got paid just as much as me or more. That didn't sit well with me and used to anger me. Then, one day I told myself that I can sit here and do nothing about it or take a chance and do something different. L

Hello From The Other Side...

The Internet is such a weird and yet magical place. Since I'm on the middle range of the "Millennials" scale in age, I remember back when we used to take all the free sample AOL discs from Tower Records just to get online for an hour. Then, the decision became do we go into a chat room to figure out everyone's A/S/L, or do we try to browse at a speed slower than a snail. We've come a long way since then and the availability of the Internet everywhere has shrunk the world. One of my best friends once told me that she's met some of the greatest people online and oddly enough I tend to agree. So whether you are going to read this because you have met me in person, or you are going to read this because it helps your workday move by faster, I appreciate you! Enough with the rambling (expect a lot) and on to the introduction! My name is Cody. A.K.A. #InternetBae. A.K.A. Poplo Escobar. A.K.A. one half of the People's Champ Supremo's Hawaii . This is my fi

The Future Of Netflix...

On February 4th, 2015, a show called Fresh Off The Boat debuted on ABC. There was an incredible amount of hype behind this because it was the first time in 20+ years that an Asian American family would be featured front and center. The show was loosely based upon the childhood of Mr. Double Cup Love himself, The Human Panda Eddie Huang. Side note, I always hear about him being in Hawaii looking for poke and or sushi and yet he isn't hitting me up? 😂  But, that's a story best saved for another day... Anyway, upon watching the two episode series premiere, I was hooked! Anyone who has an Asian Mom could relate heavily to this show because regardless of actual ethnicity, our Moms all hovered and parented in the same manner! I even ended up buying the book off Amazon which is huge for anyone who knows me because I am not a reader at all. Just the thought of cracking open a book cover puts me to sleep faster than an Ambien. While on this Fresh Off The Boat binge, I figured I'